Establishing a fund with the Community Foundation of Howard County is a simple, personalized process. Follow these easy steps, and in a matter of minutes, your fund is created:
- Think about the charitable causes important to you. Funds at the Community Foundation support the broadest range of charitable needs, so whatever your idea, bring it to the table.
- Review our types of funds. It only takes an initial gift of $10,000 to establish a fund ($20,000 for a scholarship fund). Gifts may be paid in a lump sum or in installments as part of a multi-year commitment to reach the minimum gift amount required to establish a fund.
- Decide how and when you want to give. You can start a fund with cash, securities, real estate, etc., or with a deferred gift using a vehicle such as a bequest, trust, insurance policy or IRA. Consult your professional advisor or accountant for information about tax advantages of various gift options.
- Call us at 410-730-7840, email our President & CEO, Beverly White-Seals, or fill out our information form to start a conversation about your charitable goals.
- After discussing your goals and options, we’ll draft the fund document (a simple agreement outlining the charitable goals of your fund and our policies). Once the document is signed and we’ve received your charitable gift, your fund will be established!